Dentures (Full & Partial)
Your Home for a Beautiful Smile
Discover the Difference at Jensen Family Dental
Full and Partial Dentures in Bayport MN
If you’re missing several teeth and looking for options to fill in the gaps in your smile, dentures can be a great way to boost your smile’s appearance and get your oral health back on track. Whether it’s full or partial dentures, they can have a real positive impact on your quality of life and self-esteem.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are removable replacements for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They are custom designed to fit your mouth and visually matched to your existing teeth. If you’ve lost all your natural teeth, whether from gum disease, tooth decay, or trauma, replacing the missing teeth with dentures will significantly benefit your appearance and health.
Different Types of Dentures
There are two types of dentures:
- Full Dentures: Also called a complete denture, full dentures replace an entire arch of missing teeth. It rests on top of your gums and relies on your palate (the roof of your mouth) or lower jawbone ridge for support.
- Partial Dentures: For patients missing several teeth in one or both jaws, a removable partial denture may be recommended. This type of denture uses the remaining teeth to hold or anchor the denture.
Why Does Someone Need Dentures?
There are several reasons why you may need dentures:
- Health Benefits: You are at greater risk of periodontal disease and tooth decay if you have missing teeth.
- Improved Chewing and Speech: Missing teeth can make talking and eating difficult. With high-quality dentures, you can easily speak and eat all your favorite foods.
- Better Facial Structure: When you lose most of your teeth, facial muscles can sag, making you look older. Dentures can help preserve your facial shape and prevent your cheeks and lips from appearing sunken.
- Increased Confidence: If you miss several teeth, you may be self-conscious about your appearance. Dentures can fill in the gaps in your mouth and help bring back a beautiful smile you love and enjoy showing off, boosting your self-confidence.
What Does the Process of Getting Dentures Include?
Here’s what you can expect when getting dental dentures:
- Consultation and Examination: When you come in for your appointment, we will examine your mouth, including your jaws, gums, and any remaining teeth, and take dental X-rays to check the thickness of your jawbone to determine your eligibility for dentures.
- Impressions: To create your dentures, we’ll take dental impressions of your upper and lower jaws and use them to create wax models.
- Wax Try-In: You will try this model several times, and the denture will be assessed for color, shape, and fit before the final denture is cast.
- Fitting and Adjustments: Once your dentures are ready, we will place them in your mouth, check the fit, and make any necessary final adjustments to achieve the desired fit. We may have to adjust your dentures multiple times to ensure they fit correctly and comfortably.
Learning to Wear and Take Care of Dentures
New dentures may feel awkward for a few weeks until you become accustomed to them. You may experience minor irritation and soreness, increased saliva flow, and the dentures may feel loose. But as your mouth becomes accustomed to the dentures, these problems should resolve.
Practicing proper dental hygiene and regularly cleaning your dentures will help maintain your oral health and keep the dentures hygienic and functional for longer. Brush twice daily and floss at least once, carefully cleaning teeth that fit under the denture’s metal clasps.
Here are some other tips for keeping your dentures in good shape:
- Place your dentures in water to help them retain their shape and keeps them pliable
- Never place your dentures in boiling water as this can warp dentures
- Clean your dentures daily using nonabrasive denture cleansers to prevent plaque, biofilm, and bacteria buildup
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to prevent grooves and damage to your dentures
- If your dentures become damaged, it’s important to get them repaired or replaced immediately
- Take your dentures out at night to allow the teeth and tissues to rest and breathe
What Other Family Dental Services Are Offered at Jensen Family Dental?
We also provide the following high-quality family dental services to help our patients maintain and achieve their desired smiles:
- Teeth Cleanings
- Complete Oral Exams
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Night Guards
- Dentures (Full & Partial)
- Root Canal Therapy
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Whether you’re missing a few teeth or an entire arch, dentures can fill the missing spaces and give you the full, beautiful smile you deserve. At Jensen Family Dentistry in Bayport, MN, we provide state-of-the-art custom dentures and can help walk you through all your denture options and ensure you get a smile you love. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!