Professional Teeth Cleaning in Bayport, MN
Your Home for a Beautiful Smile
Discover the Difference at Jensen Family Dental
Everyone needs regular dental cleanings regardless of how thorough their oral hygiene routine is. These regular visits to the dentist’s office give your dental professional ample opportunities to remove disease-causing bacteria and prevent gum disease and tooth decay. At Jensen Family Dental, we provide comprehensive dental cleanings to help maintain oral health.
Why Should You Get a Professional Teeth Cleaning?
Despite good at-home oral hygiene, you may not always reach all teeth surfaces, resulting in plaque buildup (a sticky film of bacteria that forms on your teeth). With time, plaque hardens into calculus, a hard substance that can only be removed at the dentist. When calculus accumulates on your teeth, it can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, yellow teeth, and eventual tooth loss. To prevent these problems, it’s important to schedule regular dental cleanings.
A dental cleaning is done by a trained professional (dental hygienist) to remove hard deposits and plaque, and tartar that accumulates below the gum tissue along the root surfaces of the teeth. How often you get your teeth cleaned depends on each patient’s needs. For most people, two times a year is the minimum recommendation, but patients with periodontal (gum) disease, a history of plaque buildup and cavities, or a weak immune response will need more frequent cleanings, usually every three to four months.
There are several benefits of regular teeth cleanings, including:
- Prevent cavities and gum disease: The plaque contains bacteria that eat away the tooth enamel if it isn’t removed, causing cavities while built-up plaque irritates the gums resulting in gingivitis (an early form of gum disease). Dental cleanings remove plaque and calculus, effectively preventing tooth decay and gum disease.
- Remove some built-up stains: Tooth polishing helps remove built-up surface stains from drinking wine, coffee, and soda, giving you a brighter smile.
- Save money on potential dental treatments: By preventing cavities and gum disease, you avoid costly and extensive dental treatments like fillings.
- Freshens your breath: Getting a dental cleaning, on top of brushing and flossing, can help you keep your mouth healthy and fresh, and odor free.
What Happens at a Dental Cleaning Appointment?
Here’s what you can expect when you come in for a dental cleaning and whitening at Jensen Family Dental:
- Removal of plaque and tartar: During your professional teeth cleaning, our hygienist will use an ultrasonic scaler to gently remove plaque and calculus around your gum line and between your teeth. You’ll hear a lot of scraping, but this is normal.
- Tooth polishing: We will then brush your teeth with gritty toothpaste and a high-powered electric toothbrush, so don’t be alarmed by the loud whirring sound. This is a great way to get a deep clean and remove any plaque and calculus left behind from the scaler. Polishing the tooth also makes it more difficult for plaque to accumulate before the next cleaning, helps your teeth feel clean and healthy, and can remove surface stains, so your smile shines brighter.
- Expert floss and rinse: After polishing, we will expertly floss your teeth to get deep between your teeth and locate any potential trouble spots where you might bleed at the gums, and remove any residual plaque and tartar. Our hygienist will then rinse out your mouth to get rid of debris with a mouthwash that contains fluoride.
How Long Does a Dental Cleaning Take?
This depends on the number of hard deposits and plaque in the mouth that has to be cleaned or removed, but usually, it takes 45-60 minutes to have your teeth cleaned.
Professional Teeth Cleaning Cost
Our cleanings start at $103 and can increase from there, depending on the type of cleaning needed. Dental insurance covers this cost in most cases, so you may not have to pay anything out of pocket.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Regular cleanings are important for the overall health of your mouth and body. If you don’t visit the dentist every 6 months, there’s a good chance you’ll develop cavities, bad breath, or gum disease. At Jensen Family Dental, we provide dental cleanings in Bayport, MN, to ensure your smile stays healthy and strong. We will take great care of you, make you feel comfortable, and treat you like family. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!